Saturday, May 9, 2009

FROM THIS EARTH WILL RISE...

The PARK SITE
Okay. Let me remark. WOW...



...something beautiful and lasting. It is a monument to friendship and one-ness amongst different cultures that share a piece of our mother earth we call the Pacific.

Yup. I am talking about this "Survivor Meets Habitat for Humanity" kind of project CANVAS is actively involved together with THE PACIFIC RIM PROJECT to build a friendship park in Puerto Princesa in Palawan.

Situated near the ocean, it commands a breath-taking view. Lucky are the boys and girls from different countries who were flown in a few days ago to design, present to the city government, specify and actually build the whole park. All of these will happen in the whole month of May.

Back-breaking work. Calloused hands. Sweating under the sun. Camaraderie with their companions. The excitement of youth. Building friendships and understanding between each person's culture. I have to admit I am green with envy. But hey, I have to hand it to these guys and gals. They really are in an adventure of their lifetime.

Here are some pictures I snapped from the official CANVAS blog. For more details, check out www.lookingforjuan.com


The two guys in the middle are Kyle and James, the team heads of the whole park project doing a "getting-to-know-each-other" session when everyone has arrived in Manila.

"Dobre Utra, I am from Russia."
"Anyong ha se yoh, we're from Korea."


The Koreans having arrived a day earlier got the chance to some very Pinoy things,
like eating green mangoes on the street.


Jumping for joy after landing in the beautiful island of Palawan.
Who wouldn't?? If I were there, I'd kiss the earth and cry.


Now the work begins with a trek to the site on the first day.

But a dip into the ocean won't hurt.
(Ugh... not only am I green with envy but in my mind I am already snorkeling in that glorious water.)


Each participant then starts to gather his or her thoughts about the project by

...sketching.

...doodling.

...surveying the land.

...making a point with a team member.

...gathering and sharing each of their ideas.

...checking the nurseries.

...getting to meet the mayor.

... and taking some time off to sing some local ditties courtesy of the Pinoy participants while one of the Americans get a watermelon "cake" for his birthday.
Of course, it doesn't hurt to jump with glee again. Their energy and enthusiasm just glows and flows.

An update: On Monday, they'll be presenting again to the city their final designs and specifications for building the park. After that the real fun begins - actually building the park themselves. I hear some of them never held a shovel nor mixed cement before but are pretty gung-ho on the challenges lying ahead.

Three cheers for the guys and gals who bravely took this PACIFIC RIM PARK PROJECT. Hip-hip hooray!
Hip-hip hooray!
Hip-hip... oh dang! I wish I am the one dipping in that glorious Palawan seaside right now. Harharhar!!

______

For more amazing details on the project, you can also check out The Pacific Rim Park blog here.

Photo credits to Sarah Encabo. (She's the lucky, lucky gal who got the job of being in Palawan for one whole month - all expenses paid - to record and blog about the project.)


2 comments:

Ebb Tide said...

Thanks for sharing this wonderful project. The location is so gorgeous. Wish I am there too- designing, sketching and of course dipping on the beach. I have never been to Palawan, and someday I hope to get there. When is this park project going to be finished?
Your trip and story about Baguio is very interesting. The cafe is wonderful place to visit. I had been to Baguio many times. Lots of memories. I am sorry to hear the death of your friend. He's so young. I know you'll miss him.

Jayme Pollock said...

Great postt