Saturday, December 20, 2008

BABANAM-KEWALAM-BABAH

Don't ask me what "BABANAM-KEWALAM-BABAH" means but these half-naked tattooed men just simply struck a deep chord with their music.

Listen, watch and shout WHOA!!!



After scratching your head and thinking how these men are just simply pushing the adrenaline with their beat, here's another...



I took the liberty of transcribing the lyrics of this second song.

Sa gitna ng kahirapan matira ang matibay. (2x)
At sa pagsubok ng buhay lalabas ang iyong tunay na kulay (2x)
Tunay na kulay (2x)
Ang tunay na kulay
Lalabas ang iyong tunay na kulay

Sa likod ng mga ulap nakatago ang liwanag (2x)
Sa pagsubok ng buhay lalabas ang iyong tunay na kulay
Tunay na kulay (2x)
Ang tunay na kulay
Lalabas ang iyong tunay na kulay

Tunay na kulay (3x)
Lalabas ang iyong tunay na kulay


For those who don't read Filipino, I thought of putting it in English.

In the midst of poverty, the strong remains
And in the trials of living, your true colors will show
True colors
The true colors
Your true colors will show

Behind the clouds, the light is hidden
And in the trials of life, your true colors will show
True colors
The true colors
Your true colors will show

The true colors
Your true colors will show

_____

Powerful. Just simply powerful. One of these days, I'd have a tattoo like these guys have.
That would be my New year's resolution.
_____

I find the beat of this band really... funky. :-) Although, as Marga pointed out below in her comment, I have no idea that they're "Ananda Marga". In fact, I am totally clueless about the Ananda Marga. The only thing I know is that they are vegans and I like those veggie desserts.

Enlighten me. :-)

8 comments:

marga rodriguez said...

I know these kadangyan. Mga ananda marga members yan. They performed in ccp, sa opening ng two man show namin ng ex ko. Careful ka lang with people from that group.

Anonymous said...

@ marga : oooooooooooooooooohhhh.....

Anonymous said...

you should also hear the slow, a cappella version of this song. my yoga teacher (also an ananda member) sometimes uses it during class. very soothing and hypnotic. =)

(and no, i am not part of their cult. lol)

Anonymous said...

@ CW: give me THAT BANANA song in a capella format and i'll be snoring in a few seconds.

i just remember how i gobbled up those veggie desserts they served in an ananda marga banana thingie i got invited to years ago when i thought being half-naked and in orange was cool.

JayAshKal said...

Baba means "my most beloved One," Nam means "name of" or "to identify with," and Kevalam means "only." So the meaning of the mantra is "My most Beloved is the only One." The ideation is: "Everywhere I look, in everything I hear, feel, see, taste and smell, I perceive that one Supreme Consciousness which pervades all things."

Cmmened by wacky tres in imeem.

http://www.imeem.com/chumhamoy/music/fVjw0n2Q/kadangyan_babanam/

Kadangyan is Ibaloi (collectively called Ifugaos) for the landed and rich! I may be wrong or the band got the name from somewhere else.

BTW thanks for introducing me to sounds of Kadangyans... now I want a CD from these guys.

palma tayona said...

@ Jayashkal: Wow! thank you for that info tidbit. methinks kadangyans music is simply lilting. love it too. :-)

happy new year!

Anonymous said...

Hi, i like kadangyan since i saw them at the 5th Arts & Music Festival held at Megatrade.I practical become their fan.I love their music especially babanam.Do you have a lyrics of babanam?

Unknown said...

Is this song baba nam kevalam by kadangyan related with ananda maraga ?